Regent is a special place. In our community, there is a close, family atmosphere with exceptional like-mindedness in faith, biblical values, academics and striving for excellence. Regent wants be known not just for what we do, but for how and why we do it. Our athletic environment is special in each sport as athletes and families come together to support each other with passion, encouragement, and unselfishness. Regent is old-school in the sense that it is a place where many students try, excel, and help each other in multiple-sport participation. It is a place where team success still trumps individual goals. It is a place that, in a brief OSSAA history, has already experienced outstanding athletes, teams, and accomplishments with state championships and all-state athletes. At Regent, there are outstanding academics and unwavering faith in Christ, but also a recognition that a highly competitive athletics program is an important part of student experience within a classical school model.
At Regent, there is a desire to show excellence in everything, as God calls us to do in Colossians 3:23, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." That is a focus of Regent athletics.
The Regent plan for the pursuit of excellence and success includes these elements:
1. Professionalism—We desire to be professional in everything we do. We want to conduct ourselves with integrity, respect, and love in a way that represents Regent well and, most importantly, represents Christ well.
2. Coaches—We seek the best possible coaches and seek to give them the tools they need to succeed. We value coaches who communicate well with students and parents, who love Jesus, who are active in a church community, who can effectively share and model Christ, who can lead our students to quality spiritual and athletic experiences, who have an unselfish heart to promote andencourage athletes to play multiple sports, who have expertise in their coaching area, who are industrious, teachable, and passionate about their calling. Regent coaches care about creating the best possible athletic and spiritual experiences for our student-athletes.
3. Facilities—We strive to have the best athletic facilities possible for all sports. We give thanks for the generous supporters who are helping Regent achieve this goal.
4. Total Program—We look to give each sport the tools, leadership, expertise, encouragement, and resources needed to be the best possible. We seek to affirm athletic and team accomplishments for all sports in a way that exalts Christ.
5. Sportsmanship and Class—We encourage all Regent athletes, coaches, parents and fans to contribute with excellence, integrity, competitiveness and passion. However, we also look to add love, joy, peace, self control, patience, kindness, and goodness in all circumstances, so as to honor Christ.
6. Excellence—Regent athletes, coaches, and parents understand that excellence comes through leadership, sacrifice, commitment, intense effort, team play, competitiveness, training, and God’s favor in striving to the be the best possible with the opportunities and athleticism the Lord has given. Winning is often dependent upon athletic talent and/or quality of schedule. Excellence is often a condition of the will and character of an athlete, coach, or team to compete well, finish well, and do the best possible, regardless of circumstances.
7. Athletic Development—Everything we do is first about students and about giving honor to the Lord.Through athletics, we look to pursue the heart of children for the Lord while training students in spiritual disciplines, athletic skills, physical development, character, and team play. We hope to be instruments of the Lord for student growth and opportunities and for the Lord’s honor. Our coaches and athletes are passionate and highly competitive in our pursuit of excellence.
8. Prayer—We hope to be a praying people, seeking the Lord’s discernment, direction, and favor in our efforts.
I invite you to visit the REGENT ATHLETIC WEBSITE to learn more about Regent Athletics and to see some of the amazing ways our student-athletes are giving glory to God by utilizing the talents and abilities that He has given them.
Yes, Regent is a special place. It is why so many of us have become like family. If we can join together to make Regent even more special, please do not hesitate to contact us.